All things auth.
Identity Providers (IdP)¶
Example identity providers that are great for development purposes include:
- I've been using JumpCloud as my testing IdP of choice for well over a year. It's quite nice. I can recommend it. The free tier supports groups and up to 10 users.
Another way to auth, requires an authenticator. It can
- hold and generate a key pair
- it can expose the key pair such that other software can access it
📚 Glossary of Terms¶
There are a bunch of these kinds of glossaries. This is just the lil one in my notes.
- IdP - Identity Provider - The single source of truth for a set of users.
- SP - Service Provider - An application that provides a service to users that the IdP tells it about.
In case it wasn't obvious, there is a bit of a focus on SAML. (Security Assertion Markup Language). Let's talk about the Assertion:
- ACS - Assertion consumer service -